Mrs. Meira Kumar: a politician, a congress loyalist and a Presidential Candidate
2017-06-24 13:47:27   Anukanksha
The opposition’s nominee for presidential candidature Mrs Meira Kumar is very much at par with NDA’s candidate Ram Nath Kovind in terms of education, profession and political work.
Here are 10 lesser-known facts of Mrs Meira Kumar
1) Meira kumar was born on 31 March 1945, in Arrah district of Bihar. She is the daughter of prominent Dalit leader and former deputy prime minister and former defence minister late Jagjivan Ram, and freedom fighter, late Indrani Devi.
2) Meira Kumar is a D.U. alumnus. She holds M.A. in English Literature and LLB degree from Indraprastha College and Miranda House, Delhi University. She also has an Advance diploma in Spanish. In 2010, she received an honorary doctorate from Banasthali Vidyapith.
3) In 1973, she qualified Indian Foreign Services and served at High Commission of India in Mauritius, Spain and United Kingdom.
4) In 1985, she quit foreign services to join Politics. In her first election from Bijnor, Uttar Pradesh and defeated the prominent political Dalit leaders Ram Vilas Paswan and Mayawati.
5) Kumar was member of the eighth, eleventh and twelfth Lok Sabhas from Karol Bagh in Delhi, though she lost her seat in 1999. She was eventually re-elected, in 2004 and 2009, from her father's former constituency of Sasaram in Bihar.
6) She has served as union minister in Parliament of India, twice. In 2004, Meira Kumar was appointed as Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment under the leadership of then Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh. And in 2009, she was inducted into the cabinet as Union Minister for Water Resources.
7) Meira Kumar is the First woman Lok sabha Speaker of the Country. She served from 2009 to 2014.
8) If elected, Meira kumar will the 2nd woman President of India.
9) Besides politics, Kumar actively works for social reforms and human rights.
10) She is married to Manjul Kumar, a lawyer, and has four children.