Ram Nath Kovind: Journey from Paronkh Village, U.P. to Raisina Hills.
2017-07-17 20:37:10   Anukanksha
Lesser known facts about our next, the 14th president (most probably) Ram Nath Kovind
1) Kovind was born on October 1, 1945 at Kanpur Dehat (Paronkh Village) in Uttar Pradesh to parents Maiku Lal (Father) Kalawati (Mother), belonging to Dalit Koli Caste.
2) Advocate by profession, Kovind has Bachelor's degrees in Commerce and Law, both from Kanpur University. He was a central government advocate in the Delhi high court from 1977 to 1979, and Central Government Standing Counsel in the Supreme Court from 1980 to 1993. He became the Advocate-on-Record of the Supreme Court in 1978. He practiced in the Delhi high court and the Supreme Court for 16 years until 1993. He enrolled as an Advocate in 1971 with the Bar Council of Delhi.
3) After completing law, Kovind came to Delhi to prepare for the civil services examination but failed to pass it twice. His third attempt was a success but he did not join as he was selected for an allied service instead of IAS.
4) In 1977, before joining the BJP, Kovind worked as the private secretary of then prime minister Morarji Desai.
5) Kovind stepped into politics in 1984 after elected to Rajya Sabha from Uttar Pradesh. He had served for two consecutive terms till March 2006. During his parliamentary tenure, Kovind has served in several parliamentary committees including the Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, among others.
6) He represented India in the United Nations in New York and addressed United Nations General Assembly in October 2002.
7) Kovind is the former president of the BJP Dalit Morcha (1998-2002) and President of the All-India Koli Samaj. He has also served as national spokesperson of the party.
8) He had also served as the member of the Board of Management of Dr. B.R Ambedkar University, Lucknow and the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata.
9) On august 8, 2015, Kovind was appointed as the Governer of Bihar, till the date (20 June 2017) he filed for presidential nomination. He was immediately preceded by as well as succeeded by Keshari Nath Tripathi.
10) After KR Narayana, Ram Nath Kovind will become the second Dalit to take on the President’s role.
11) If gets through, Kovind will be the 1st President from Uttar Pradesh- a state that has given 9 prime ministers to the country.
12) Kovind donated his ancestral house in his native village in Kanpur as 'Barat Ghar' or community house to the village.
13) Kovind is married to Savita Kovind and has a son Prashant Kumar, and a daughter, Swati.